As part of my Instant Pot challenge, I have been cooking for my family of five using only my pressure cooker. Why you might ask? Well, mainly out of necessity and desire to continue to feed my family well, whilst we refurbish our kitchen.
The easier option of course would be to buy microwave meals, but I really enjoy real food! I also know that within days, I would be feeling down and drained of energy eating frozen meals.
As part of this journey, I am aiming to develop a number of “base meals” that create easy to adapt meals to reduce mealtime stress. This base ground beef recipe will probably start to reappear in other meals, which if you are a busy Mum like me, is great. The less work the better.
I keep my base recipe reasonably simple to satisfy young kids, however, if you know your family likes it hot, feel free to spice it up! Or do like me, and add fresh chili as a side.
I like to set up taco nights as a self-serve experience. Think taco-tapas! The kids love it and everyone gets to have what they enjoy most. Feel free to pick and choose your favourite toppings, and experiment with my recipes.
My beef recipe suffices for two full meals for five, there will be lots of meat leftover to use in another meal or freeze for your next taco evening.
GROUND BEEF INGREDIENTS
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil, for frying
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1kg organic ground beef
- 1-2 Tbsp taco seasoning (no added sugar)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
TAPA STYLE TACO TOPPINGS
- 70g mixed leaves
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 100g sliced cucumbers
- 200g grated cheese
- 1 fresh chili, finely sliced (for those who like it hot)
- 150g corn
- Taco chips
GROUND BEEF INSTRUCTIONS (INSTANT POT)
- Select Saute on the Instant Pot and allow it to warm up.
- Add olive oil and red onion into the inner pot, allow to saute for 2-3 minutes then add the ground beef and taco seasoning. Using a wooden spoon, brown the meat. End saute.
- Add beef broth and tomato paste to the pot. Close the lid and turn the valve to seal.
- Select Pressure Cook for 15 minutes. Once finished, carefully force release.
- Finally, select saute for a further 10 minutes to allow the meat to reduce.
- Serve with the tapa toppings and allow every to create their own salad.